Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Cost Calculators

Here is a really simple tool for figuring petrol cost per mile, adjustible for the current price of gas. It puts me at about $0.15/mile at today's prices ($3.20) but was about $0.10/per mile at $2.00, which it was not so long ago.

As far as determining cost per mile, the IRS give $0.405/mile for tax purposes, so based on raw numbers, I am still (amazingly) ahead of that, but that is figuring in depreciation as well. When I figure depreciation (I paid $14,565 and dorve 73,396 miles, the car is now valued at near $3848) this comes to $0.146 per mile.

So, figuring that my average price put me somewhere around $0.12 per mile, the depreciation at $0.146 per mile and repairs at $0.158 per mile, total cost per mile is $0.424.

The AAA says that it costs $0.522 per mile. Here is a guy who says he did it for $0.375 driving 20,000 miles per year in his FoFo. I don't really trust his judgement too much because he has another post in which he says "I’ve always wanted a Toyota Camry V6 XLE!" Arrgh!

I guess that I have generally overlooked the obvious here. The key to the whole cost per mile problem is that as mileage goes up, cost per mile goes down. Time to start piling on the miles!!!

1 comment:

Mr. Anti-Camry said...

Nice pencil-pushing on the last 3 posts to figure out all of those costs. I'd say it's well worth it, as you really are on a higher plane, automobile-wise, in your sleek Sportwagon. Just a couple of things to keep in mind as you are enjoying the ride:
1. Life is short- drive fast.
2. There's more to life than good fuel economy.
3. Better to look good than be good.

Now put the pedal to the luxurious Swedish carpet and burn through a few tanks of V-Power premium!