Monday, February 18, 2008

OMG The Weather!!!!!

The Weather: Wow, we've had (we're having) a heckuva winter. This season keeps on giving and doesn't look like it is getting stingy with the good stuff any time soon. Although the "weather event" over the weekend didn't give us as much snow as advertised, it made up for it with rain, freezing rain and slush. But it was plenty cloudy, the whole town shut down, and there is snow in the forecast more often than not. Today it is tough to find a road that is not ice-covered. And we're heading back below zero tonight.
With that said, I am actually enjoying this witer much more than those I have spent here before. At least when it is cold, we have snow. (we have it nearly daily). But the snow makes each trip an adventure of sorts, as you don't know what sort of idiot driver you'll be stuck behind next. The same Camry drivers who can't find the gas pedal when conditions are dry treat the accellerator like an on-off switch in the ice. They spin endlessly to try to gain the grip to go. I've so far only seen two slide right through intersections.
But I like biking in the snow and I like that I get to practice my E-brake turns.

The car search: So here is what I'm looking for: Sporty, fun to drive, roomy on the inside, and it sould get great mileage. I'd like something like a diesel TT Quattro, or a comfortable Subaru WRX that was comfortable to drive (yeah, I said it twice) and that hadn't been driven like a rented mule. It should be small outside and not cheapy-looking. Maybe an A3 Quattro Diesel? Maybe a used Mini? I hear they are popular in the family. Oh yeah, it should be cheap and reliable, too. (too bad the USA can't get the 3-door)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Skip the Subaru. I doubt they can possibly be comfortable for you. Even your mom has the seat all the way beck in the Outback, and WRX is smaller.
Will diesels even run at below zero temps?
Your bro says the TT would be too small, too bad, but quattro Audi is cooler than most
LP

Anonymous said...

Make sure you get something with heated seats