Saturday, March 24, 2007

Arrgg!!! Don't go to Fields Auto Group!!!

Never a good sign...Work to be done.
So the local Volvo had been Smart Volvo Toyota. They got rid of the Volvo part of the dealership and decided to sell only to Toyota customers. I guess they didn't want the high-end business brought in by the Volvo customers. They sold it to Fields Auto group. Smart was so-so about service. They only liked working on Toyotas, but it seemed like maybe they had some decent techs who at least knew their stuff about Volvos. Fields just opened up in Madison with a Jag/Land Rover/Volvo place. Volvo is sort of displayed in the Janitor's closet. There is definitly no independent Volvo shop in Madison.
Anywho, to get to the point of the story, I've been chasing down a mystery rattle/clunk sound that sounds like it has been coming from the right rear of the car. It has been driving me crazy. I took the whole back end of the car apart when I was replacing the tailgate strut to see if I could track it down. So today I had Katie drive while we were going to the store so I could try to get a better handle on where it is coming from. On the way home I sat in the back seat. It was less pronounced while I was there. So then I moved to the rear, driver's side. I could hear it again. It sounded like it was coming from under the carpet. So we got home and I looked under the car at the suspension. The very same suspension that was removed from the car and had some new parts put on in December. The bolt holding the end of the "delta-link" suspension was nearly half an inch out and loose!! These fools didn't tighten the bolt all the way! This is besides the fact that they were supposed to replace the bolts with new ones. So this rattle that I have been chasing for the last 2-3 months has been this damn loose bolt. I guess I'm lucky that the suspension didn't just rip off of the car... Pictures shortly...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Print that photo and the blog post. Then drive over there and ask to talk to the service manager. Tell him (or her) exactly what you found, and tell them it isn't acceptable. YOu may not get anything, but you'll be letting them know that they cant' do crappy work for Volvo customers and get off totally scott free.

I'm serious. That could have totally come apart and caused you a wreck. If they don't at least offer you an apology, go to the BBB and file a formal complaint.

Anonymous said...

Have you gone in there yet to let them know about their shoddy workmanship?

If you don't, I'll be going in there posing as you next week and raising quite a ruckus.

Anonymous said...

i totally pick up what you are putting down about fields THEY SUCK BIGTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They had our truck for 6 months. And still didnt fix it. They drove our broken truck from fields on the westside and drove it all the way to the far eastside.WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!