Saturday, March 17, 2007

Erik doesn't like running too much either...

Since I did a take-off on the Saablog, I figure a take-off on Kevin Hates Running should be next in line.
Last year I did a fair amount of working out while I was coaching, mostly due to the fact that the coach thought I could be best used as a "coach in the boat." It was fun to row with the team, and it made it pretty easy to stay in shape, since I could work out regularly with a team. Also, as I discussed with my friend Simon, there was the issue of pride. I wanted to beat as many of those guys as possible. So I had a reason to work hard. Now, I don't really seem to have a reason to work hard at any sport. I can beat my team this year quite easily, whether I work out or not. I don't find myself racing the men very often. and I really don't like erging all tht much. I have tried challenging myself to do various workouts on the erg, or at least do certain amounts of mileage, but it isn't that fun. When it is warm, I'll row some and bike some, especially during the summer when I shouldn't really have that much to do during the days. I do miss being in shape, and I don't want to "get old" because I'm not working out anymore. I don't need to be at a national-team level, but I don't want to be a couch potato.
So katie has been trying to get me to run. I am not too big on running. Unlike rowing or cycling (or even erging) you don't get any free run. You can't sit and rest a little while and still make progress. It is not that I am not good at running, I just don't enjoy it. Kind of like erging. So katie has been trying to get me to run with her, and for three weekends she has been successful. I went 23 minutes the first time, then 33 minutes last weekend, and today went 43. She has kept going after I have stopped each time. So it is fine. I think the pace today was maybe 6:55 or so, which is okay. Maybe one of these times I'll run with Kevin and see if I can keep up.
Today on the run we were maybe a minute from out place when Katie decided it would be a good idea to tick off some foreign guy in a Honda. This guy pulled out onto the sidewalk/driveway while leaving Whole Foods and cut off our path maybe 5-10 feet before we got there. He wasn't looking. So we ran around the back of his Accord Coupe and as we did so Katie slapped her hand on the trunk lid of the car. This guy didn't take kindly to it. He drove around the block and was irritated with "whoever hits my car." "I should hit you...But I don't...but next time I hit you." He pulled up and walked towards us on the sidewalk, and we ran around him and he was yelling "Why you hit my car?" and so I told him that we were running, and if he wanted to talk to us he should catch up to us. So he ran and caught us, and we stopped and talked. We should have kept runnning and talking, because it would have been a short conversation. But he said he was looking left at traffic and was not concerned because we should be watching out because we are on the sidewalk. We tried to convince him that he should probably look right for pedestrians, and he said that he was looking for traffic and did not hit us, so we should not be mad and be hitting his car. Whatever, dude. It is a Honda. Now whenever I run I have to look for a crazy dude tracking me down to try and hit me with his car...

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Nice work. I usually just run around the front of their car while staring at them with a "WTF is wrong with you?" kind of look.

And at 6:55s for your normal runs, I'll be working to keep up with you.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I used to run around the front of the pulled out cars to but I actually got nipped a few times with people not paying any attention to pedestrian traffic. Now I run around the back and gently tap the back of their car just so they are aware. I have been doing this for about the past year and never had any incidents until yesterday.