Thursday, February 22, 2007

Health and the Midwest

When I think of the typical midwesterner i think of somebody aged 50-60, overweight, high cholesterol, high plood pressure, waddling along main street USA ready to get in their rusted GM transport. But after living for barely more than a year in the Midwest, my perception has changed. Or at least my health has. I have determined that living in the midwest is bad for your health. Whether those old farmers eat cheese and sausage omelets or flax seed oatmeal makes no difference. They will have failing health. It is either in the air or the water, or maybe both, but even somebody seemingly healthy like me can come down with a whole medical dictionary full of problems upon arrival here. I've gone from being an elite athlete to having an enlarged heart, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I'm betting that it has something to do with the wind. It is always either blowing in Dust, fertilizer or ice melter. When it is not blowing (maybe 2 days/month) it smells like manure. That can't be good for anybody's health.
Now the doctor who always makes me wait (today was only 18 minutes in the lobby, a new record) wants me to go on Lipitor, a drug to lower cholesterol. I' think I'm way too young for it, but I have aged about 12 years since moving to Madison. Maybe I'll try something a little more natural.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

I think you are on to something with that wind theory. I was just thinking to myself walking across the UW-Madison campus that this has to be the fattest undergrad student body in the nation. It is remarkable the portliness of the population here - young people, old people, everyone in between!

Anonymous said...

Why don't you try acupuncture? It works for me (stress, among other "issues") and it worked spectacularly for Joe with his bulging/ruptured disc whose vet was talking surgery (now he's super healthy and runs circles around everyone again!)

Anonymous said...

1. Try cheerios to lower your cholesterol. And diet pepsi.

2. She had acupuncture for her dog?Are you kidding me?