Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Yup, Still Cold

Okay, It is still cold, but it is surprising how warm 8 feels after -14. Eight degrees was the high temperature today. I'm really hoping for the double-digits here soon. By next Monday it is supposed to be more than 20!! I'm ready to get out the bathing suit and cut a hole in the ice to cool myself off with a dip in the lake!
Yesterday we got more snow. About an inch or so. I had been told by some idiot that it couldn't snow when it was really cold, but whoever told me that was full of it. It was -3 and snowing. At one point we heard a loud rumbling sound, and it felt like an earthquake down at the boathouse, but it turned out to be the ice buckling on the lake. When ice gets colder it expands, and it was cold and the ice was getting thicker, and when the snow was done falling you could see a big ridge aout 1000m from the boathouse that was probably a mile long where the ice had buckled. I walked out on the ice to investigate yesterday, but the ice makes a lot of noises-some far away, and some that sound like they are coming from right underneath your feet. There have been people in snowmobiles and ATVs cruising around on the ice, but I still felt like the ice was going to crack at any minute and leave me to freeze to death. I turned around after getting maybe 2/3 of the way to the big crack, and was sweating bullets by the time I got back to land (even though it was -5!). Maybe I'll go back out there tomorrow...
-E

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DON'T GO OUT ON THE ICE. I like having a brother.