Thursday, February 15, 2007

Medical Testing

So since getting to the doctor here in Madison, I've had more testing done than most people should have to submit to. On my first office visit I had high blood pressure, so that, combined with family history sparked the interest of my 'primary care physician.' So the next day I had a fasting blood and urine test, then had an EKG. Based on the outcome of these, i had another blood test (again, fasting, doing a more detailed cholesterol screening) and then an ultrasound on my enlarged heart. Yes it is enlarged. This is because I was an athlete, and the heart is a muscle, and since I worked out the heart muscle extensively, it got bigger. They now feel that it is no big deal. Over Christmas break I was doing sporadic monitoring of my blood pressure, and it was low and high, up and down, so the PCP ordered more testing. Today I am doing an "Ambulatory Blood Pressure Test." This means I am wearing a BP cuff and a little computer thingy for 24 hours. It will check my BP every 20 minutes, and every 20 minutes i have to write in a log book what I am doing. When it goes off I have to stop what I'm doing and relax the arm. It is set so that from 9:00pm until 6:00am it will only go off every hour. I turn it back in tomorrow at 10:00 am. Then next week I have an endoscopy, to see how my esophagus looks after a few years of acid reflux. I remember not liking it too much last time, so this time I'm not expecting much better. And it is cold out. Still. Minus 2 this morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez, have you joined the ARRP too? Maybe they should have checked you in to the hospital, old man.

Don't let them give you whatever it was you had last time for your endoscopy. Didn't all of you swell up, like your face and throat? Don't do that again. Yuck.

It's like I said before. Drink diet pepsi, eat poorly, and your blood pressure wiill be really low. And you'll begin to get very fat.

PS- does anybody besides me know this blog exists?

Kevin said...

I'm going to guess that the problem is just that you're a pansy, but I'm no doctor. That's just what all outward appearances would indicate.

And yes Kevin (good name), I know the blog is here. We should probably tip off his team.

monkey's uncle e said...

I've definitely upped the Diet Pepsi intake. Hopefully it skewed the test results enough that they will think I don't have a problem. And if I never have to wear the 24 BP cuff again, it will be too soon.