Saturday, February 17, 2007

I'm no longer cool...

Here is my old cool license plate, my lame new plate and that paper is my new license. Isn't the Wisco plate about the ugliest you've ever seen? It even says "Dairyland" Ugh. Made by the Wisconsin Department of Corrections (Badger Industries). I feel like it shouldn't go on a Volvo. This license plate would dress up a Pontiac or Ford or Chevy. But it is detracting from the Volvo. Bringing it down. The plate should be on a 1986 Ford Tempo, driven by a 5'8" 317lb guy wearing a worn out 'Green Bay Packers' jacket and sweat pants.

And that piece of paper? Yeah, it is my new driver's license. If I get pulled over by one of Wisconsin's finest (most likely for driving a foreign car, or maybe for speeding) I'm supposed to show the cop that piece of paper! It is 1/3 of an 8.5x11 sheet of paper, signed very officially by the lady behind the counter at the Wisconsin DMV. Nobody'd every be able to forge a document like that!

While I was passing time yesterday at the DMV I looked at the vast selection of different plates available for my vehicle. "Ducks Unlimited", "Celebrate Children" "Protect Wildlife" "State Patrol" etc. Some were maybe $15-20 extra, some were maybe not available to the general public. I thought of getting one that said "Collector," since I collect all sorts of things, but that plate was only available for cars more than 20 years old. They also have an "antique" plate for cars pre 1945. Check out their very bureaucratic website at http://http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/plateguide/special.htm. I thought of the University plates, but that adds on an additional $20 every year, and personalized plates are an additional $15. I don't think that I really have anything to say to the world on my license plates anyway.

So now I have until the end of tomorrow to get the plates on the car. I suppose that the chances of getting nabbed this month are pretty slim (wile I am still displaying valid tabs from Washington), but I'd rather not try to explain why I'm running my car with invalid, out of state plates. So now I have to get motor vehicle insurance, since my current company only writes insurance in Washington.

5 comments:

Kevin said...

Your link for special plates is bad - if they have one for deep-fried cheese curds, and they probably do, you should get that one. Is the paper license just until they mail you a real one? Don't you love how places like the YMCA can issue you a photo ID on site, but the DMV doesn't seem to have that kind of technology?

monkey's uncle e said...

Yeah, supposedly I'll get a normal (nnormal for Wisconsin) license mailed to me, but out west in the Oregon Territory near Seattle they have the technology to at least make a black-and-white cardboard license that looks like your license while the real one is being fabricated in some far-away, secret lab...

Anonymous said...

The title of ths post implies you were cool before....

... and only because you had WA plates.

I'm with Kevin, go ahead and get the deep fried cheese curt license plate.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]in wetter[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]wetter rtl de[b][/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html]zdf wetter[/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html]deutsch wetter[/url]