Friday, February 23, 2007

Live Free or Die!

Ah, the motto of New Hampshire. I bet they don't have too many rules and regulations up there in the Granite State. Here in Wisconsin, it is a whole 'nother ball game.
Last night I noticed that I had a head light out. It was easy to notice, because I have an indicator on the dashboard to inform me of the problem. So this morning I went to my local auto parts store to procure a replacement. Last time I bought lights, I went with Sylvania's Cool Blue. I was pretty happy with them. They are more white than blue, and more white than the traditional "yellow" headlamps. I have been looking in auto magazines, and noticed that now they've come out with an even brighter white light. it is Sylvania's SilverStar Ultra. Here is a comparison between the different types. So I thought obtaining these lights would be about as easy as going to the local auto-parts-eria and picking some up. But when I got there all they had were the el-cheapo lights. (Also, the first place I went to smelled very much like the inside of the 1979 Toyota pickup my brother and I used to drive--old cigarette smoke covered up with vanilla.) I bought one and decided to go somewhere else. The next place had the same crap. When I told the guy behind the counter what I was looking for he told me, "Oh, they don't sell those in Wisconsin. They're illegal." Huh? Headlights are illegal? On the website they are advertised as "100% street legal in Canada and the USA." So i know how to beat that system: amazon.com.
I had a similar problem last summer when i tried to buy a recharge kit for my A/C system. I was in LaCrosse, WI and they told me to drive across the river to Minnesota. What do you know, they had it! So I think I have found another reason that helps to explain why so many people in Wisconsin drive crappy cars: There are laws against improving them. A/C goes out? you can't fix it yourself. Bad headlight? Keep putting in the dim off-brand ones. I think that Wisconsin also has some sort of embargo against fashionable clothing, so most people just default to wearing Badgers and/or Packers gear. I'll have to go to the mall and see what sort of clothing is not available...

2 comments:

Abigail said...

"dim" and "off-brand" are you sure you're just describing the cars??

Anonymous said...

Umm... is having fun illegal in Wisconsin too?

And if you buy those fancy-pants bulbs online, will you get a ticket when they're installed?

Dairlyand is stupid.